What Happens in Rehab?
You may already understand what rehab is, but that still doesn’t answer the question “What happens in rehab?” What do you actually do each day?
Every rehab centre will have its own structure and schedule of activities. When deciding which rehab centre to choose, this is one of the things you could ask, but typically there will be quite a rigid structure to your day and you will not be left to your own devices. People trying to break an addiction find a structured routine helps to keep them occupied and makes breaking the addiction easier.
Some of the things that are common to many rehabilitation centres are
- Sharing a room: you are unlikely to be given a room to yourself as having a roommate will make you less likely to turn to negative behaviours.
- Healthy food: you will be given regular healthy meals
- Exercise: you will be expected to exercise daily. There may be yoga classes as yoga is good to help you relax and destress.
- Daily counselling: this could be on a one to one basis or in group therapy sessions. You may find that you have one of each every day.
- Leisure activities: there will be daily leisure activities such as arts and crafts, sports, visiting speakers.
- Family sessions: family members may also be invited to participate in group sessions to help them understand how they can help you stay sober and what they may have done in the past to facilitate or encourage you to drink.
- Education sessions: you will be expected to participate in education workshops to help you learn about addictions and recovery. Understanding what you are dealing with can make it easier to work through.
You will be given a daily timetable of activities when you check in and you will be expected to keep to it and it will start early in the morning and continue throughout the day until bed time. What rehab is not, is a jail. You can walk out of there any time you like. You are there of your own accord because you want to get sober and it is ultimately your choice if you no longer wish to stay.
One of the things that quite often happens in rehab is that lasting friendships are formed. You are going on a very emotional journey with other people and you learn from each other about their experiences and support each other through the challenges. At the end you may find that you have made some great friends.
There are so many differences between what each rehab centre offers, that choosing the right one for you is an important decision and there are many things that you should consider when making this choice. Getting the right rehab centre for you could help to ensure your lasting success at sobriety.
If you would like to talk to someone about making an informed decision, call us today on 0203 955 7700 for free, confidential advice.